As the pandemic continues to affect our lives, making it impossible for us to meet in person, we have been working hard to put together the 13th Hamlyn Symposium 2021 as a fully digital experience, with a programme of activities spanning the months April-July 2021.
As part of the programme, and following on from previous years, we are launching a call for papers to be published in a Special Section of the IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics (T-MRB) Journal, with a closing date of 30th June 2021. This year’s focus is “From Bench to Bedside”, with the intention to celebrate methods, technologies and applications that have successfully been translated to a clinical setting.
The Special Section will be guest edited by Prof. Maarja Kruusmaa, Prof. Alberto Arezzo and Hamlyn’s Dr. George Mylonas, with the support of our esteemed clinical and technical Area Chairs and Programme Committee, who will contribute to the peer review process.
We particularly encourage submissions addressing:
- Clinical highlights in Urology, Cardiac Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Gynaecology, ENT, Orthopaedic, and Paediatric Surgery;
- Emerging, multi-specialty applications of robotic technology;
- New materials, sensors and actuators;
- Medical robotics for flexible access surgery, endoluminal, NOTES and micro-surgery;
- Mechatronic designs for medical robotics;
- Microbot designs and applications;
- Surgical simulation, automation, training and skills assessment;
- Human robot interaction and ergonomics;
- Surgical navigation and augmented reality systems;
- Intra-operative imaging and biophotonics for robotic surgery;
- Medical image computing and computer assisted intervention;
- Economic and general considerations of robotic surgery;
- Deep learning surgical vision.
For this year only, we will be further integrating the paper submission and reviewing process with the journal, in a one-step process. You are invited to submit a 4-page short paper (a “Short Article”), or a full-length paper (an “Original Article”) directly via the T-MRB ScholarOne Manuscript submission portal here, with detailed submission instructions available here, with further instructions about the submission process available here.
- Manuscript submission deadline: June 30, 2021
- Revisions back to authors: August 31, 2021
- Submission of the final version: October 15, 2021
Publication date: November 2021 Issue of T-MRB.
If you intend to submit your work for consideration in the special section, please:
- Email Marianne Knight confirming your intent to submit, a draft title, and the type of submission you will be putting together (i.e., a Short Article or an Original Article) by 20th May 2021.
- When you submit via the online journal management system, clearly state in your cover letter that: “The manuscript is intended for possible inclusion in the T-MRB Special Issue/Section on the Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2021.”
We look forward to receiving your submission and thank you, on behalf of the organising committee, for your patience and continued support.
Dr. George Mylonas (on behalf of the HSMR2021 Organising Committee)